Saturday 27 April 2013

Day 174: April 27

from the newsdesk..
Skins UK (as in the TV show)

So this is my new favourite TV show.

It took me about three years to actually watch it and wow, one of the best decisions ever. For you uncultured fools out there who haven't watched it, here is probably one of the worst synopses you'll hear about it:
Skins (UK, because the US one is shit) is centred around a group of eight 17 year olds. They get high, get drunk, pop pills, get laid, manage their parents and still have to do their homework and (mostly) turn up for 'college'. (As the back of the DVD cover says), 'these kids really grab life by the balls and then give it a twist'.

As I am new to the show, here are my descriptions to help me remember the characters and who each person is:
- Chris: freckled druggie *
- Angie - teacher
- Tony - leader (Nicholas Hoult) *
- Michelle - tony's gf *
- Sid - glasses, small *
- Cassie - anorexic, emma *
- Effy - Tony's sister (Kaya Scoladero)
- Maxxie - gay *
- Anwar - Sikh? *
- Jal - black girl *
- Abigail - posh girl
- Kenneth - the friend

* These are the main eight people.

Its just really good and their accents and I just really love them and also Sid's my favourite person. But then again, Tony is really hot, but then again so are all of them. Cassie is lovely and she really reminds me of someone I know. I didn't like Michelle to begin with, but she's starting to grow on me. Jal is fiercely loyal and an awesome friend. I don't really know Maxxie and Anwar as well, but Maxxie's tap dancing skills are epic. Chris has an out-layer like a turtle and also takes lots of drugs, but his dad is a douche and I don't like him. Angie is gold, but Abigail is a bitch and she reminds me of a poodle. Effy has been in it for about 10 seconds, but Kaya Scoladerio is so pretty and unfairness. Kenneth (I think thats his name) is just a random friend I remember the name of.

I have just watched five 45 minute episodes and my thoughts are currently in a British accent. It feels like I should speak in a British accent, but when I go to it sounds weird. (Well Lauren, that does happen when thats not your natural accent). Does that happen to other people? When they're around others or they're watching something where people have an accent, do they sort of pick it up?

I just like the fact that its a teenage show, with teenage things, with teenagers portraying the characters as opposed to old people. It has that bite of realism, but not in such a stark way thats its like 'oh been there, seen that'. Its done with a sort of witty humour and in such a way that it leaves you wanting to watch more - you want to see whats going on with their lives in the next episode.

Its hard to explain why I like it so much but I do. I really do.

Its like a British SLiDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment