Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 177: May 7

from the newsdesk...
life choices

Hello and welcome back to the show.

Tonight, I discussed my uni/my course/my year 11/12 subject selections with my parents (after about half an hour of searching for the envelope with the information needed and then not finding it, but then starting anyway and then my mom finding it after she went to check again, 'just in case'. seriously, mothers and their voodoo finding powers).

So what are you going to be when you grow up?

Even though you finish school in 2 years and these subject selections are only for next year, we would like you to pick your subject selections RIGHT NOW, THIS MINUTE so you are READY and PREPARED for the future. Thanks for not stressing and also, just to let you know, we aren't trying to put pressure on you - its not like we want you to pick your subjects 6 months to 1.5 years in advance. Thank you for your patience. Oh and on one last note, even though THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISIONS, you can always change your mind at any time, even though NOT REALLY.

Currently, these are my subjects:
1. Maths (normal)
2. Science (general)
3. PE
4. Geography (1/2)
5. Film Studies (elective)
6. 3D studies (elective)
7. English (normal)

In August of this year, we have to pick our subjects for the next two years. Oh the fun of school. Now there are two things I'm positive about:
First, Edward was a vampire. And second, there was a part of him - and I don't know how dominant that part might be - that thirsted for my blood. And thir- oh, shit wrong thing.

There are two things I'm certain about:
1. ENGLISH (YOU HAVE TO DO THIS)
2. Maths (you don't HAVE to do this, but I really think that I should).
Things that I should maybe do NEXT YEAR, AS IN YEAR 11:
1. Geography 3/4
2. Studio 3/4 (year 12 art)
3. Biology
4. Maybe media
5. And if not media, another subject

Potential (HA) uni courses/jobs etc:
1. Vet
2. Doctor
3. Advertising
4. Zoology/ Animal Science
5. Event Management
6. Lawyer
7. Journalism
8. Arts of some sort
9. Maybe a double degree

Things I don't want to be/NO:
1. Teacher (of any sort)
2. Accountant
3. Things with numbers

So I have pretty much no idea what I what to do/be. Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, spy. Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Like every other person that lives on this planet, I have my strengths and weaknesses. But do I work AGAINST my strengths and FOR my weaknesses? Or FOR my strengths and AGAINST my weaknesses? Or AGAINST both? Or FOR both?

Life questions.

In a perfect world, full of perfect things, I probably be a lawyer. 98.15 or 99.15 ATAR score. I would do a double degree in arts/law and be out in 5 years. I would either travel before or after or maybe take a semester off. I would do an exchange in a foreign, ENGLISH speaking country (because I don't speak anything else), BUT AS ITS A PERFECT WORLD, I would go to France on exchange, learn French there and then GO AND VOLUNTEER somewhere for 4.5 months. I would come back to Melbourne and complete my degree. I would do FAMILY LAW, which would focus on kids and foster and divorces and families etc. I would FIGHT FOR JUSTICE and yada yada, great life etc.

But as the genie isn't real, I most likely wouldn't get 98.15 +, I have to think of something else. I mean, that could be my goal. I could transfer. Teachers/people are always crapping on about 'the back door' or to get in another way.

But I would HATE hate to spend 5 years on something and then hate it when I'm finished.

Thats where a shorter degree/course would be handy. Anything creative - event management, journalism, arts etc - all have shorter degrees.

OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AND IT'S LIKE 3 MONTHS AWAY WHICH IS AGES AND SCHOOL IS (NOT) PUTTING PRESSURE ON US. BUT THEY ARE AND I DON'T WANT TO JUST 'PICK GENERAL SUBJECTS' BECAUSE THATS ANNOYING AND I NEED ONE MORE SUBJECT AND HELP.

But there's also this zoology course that's 3 years (or maybe 4) and I've wanted to be a vet since I was young, and zoology isn't vet science, but its a less long and less hard version of it and it sounds really good and interesting but then what about THE OTHER THINGS?


No comments:

Post a Comment