Tuesday 21 May 2013

Day 181: March 21

From the newsdesk...

Maureen McCarthy

Tonight I listened to and met Maureen McCarthy.

She's an author:
Ganglands
Rose by any other name
Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude
Wake up and find me gone

Her new book is called The Convent , and while it's fiction, all the history in the book about the actual (Abbottsford) Convent is true. She told us the original inspiration for this piece was a note she'd written to herself in 1991 - just over 30 years ago.

She had wanted to know more about her mothers childhood in the convent. Why was she there? What was it like? What were the people like? The environment?
(Her mother had lived there from 3 years of age until she was 15 or 16).

Maureen went on to tell us about the convent and how it really was a refuge for girls and their problems. She talked and interviewed many people about the convent and life during that time. Most of them said it was great, but some of them, especially the laundry workers, said it was harsh and horrible.

She read us an excerpt from her new book and then she signed my copy of Rose by any other name

She's one of those people who you just want to be like when you grow up. Not necessarily have her job (although I'd want that too, because being an author would be perf), but her manner and you can see she loves what she does.

That's what I'd like to do. I'd like to have a job or do something that, when I talk to people about it, they can see I'm really enjoying myself. That I absolutely love what I'm doing.

She also had on a matching colour scarf and skirt (and bracelet) and her shoes and stockings went well.

You could see she was passionate about what she did and she wanted to share her passion and joy with others. She wanted other people to experience the pure happiness of books and writing.

So one day, when I write a speech, thanking people for things that need thanking for, mark my words, Maureen McCarthy will be on that list.


Mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment