Friday 28 December 2012

Day 70: December 28

Verwelkom, mense van die internet (Welcome, people of the internet).

LOTE. Languages Other Than English. Or, in my case, languages that other people speak and I do not. I did Hebrew lessons for 6 years and the only think I remember is the letters (very vaguely), and I can very haltingly read. I did French for two years, and omg, I am so unskilled. I know a little bit - counting, a few phrases - but really not very much. I learnt Afrikaans and Xhosa when I was in grade 1. I really wish I knew another language. Two of my friends speak Chinese and my other friend speaks Spanish. My parents speak Afrikaans and they use this as a weapon to talk in front of me and my sister. My older sister knows some Afrikaans, but she is forever mixing up her phrases. My one claim to fame is that I can count from one to ten in five languages (including english, that is). They are: Afrikaans, English (duh), Xhosa ( pronounced ko-za), Hebrew and French (Oui!). 


My Xhosa is a bit 
rusty as I did learn it in grade 1. My French is slightly

dodgy because I suck at pronunciation. So this is a sound recording of me counting from oneto ten in those five languages. https://soundcloud.com/kavendish/counting-from-1-10-1/s-G6YKZ

Seventy Things you can find in South Africa:
1. Cape Town
2. Johannesburg
3. Table Mountain
4. Lion's Head (also a mountain)
5. Grove Primary School
6. Westerford High
7. Williamstown
8. My grandparents
9. My cousins
10. Mitzi (my cousin's cat)
11. Benoit (my cousin's dog)
12. Cedar Peak (my uncle's farm)
13. Camps Bay Beach
14. The Noon Day Gun (which is actually a canon)
15. Kerborm Park
16. The Red Firetruck
17. Squirrel Cottages
18. Kirstenbosch Gradens
19. Greenpoint
20. Seapoint
21. Botswana (where World Challenge was on this year) 

22. Fish On The Rocks 
23. Gauteng
24. Swaziland
25. Mozambique
26. Limpopo
27. Barnsleigh
28. Jacko (my grandparents' dog)
29. The Cape Town Stadium
30. Pick 'N' Pay
31. Cape Town Gardens
32. Caca
33. Signal Hill
34. Rhodes Memorial
35. Bluebottles
36. Muzenberg
37. My great aunts and uncles
38. Drakensburg Mountains
39. Johannesburg Zoo
40. The Wilds (restaurant)
41. Waterfront
42. Stellenbosch
43. Paarl
44. Worcester (where my mom grew up)
45. Clifton
46. Milnerton
47. Canal Walk (massive shopping centre)
48. Ratanga Junction
49. University of Cape Town
50. Wild Fig 
51. Port Elizabeth
52. Addo
53. Nelson Mandela
54. Desmond Tutu
55. Robben Island
56. District Six Museum
57. Hout Bay
58. Hout Bay Market 

59. Greenmarket Square
60. Boulder's Beach
61. Franschhoek (vineyards)
62. Devil's Peak
63. Kayalitcha (town)
64. The Red Shed (waterfront)
65. The Blue Shed (waterfront)
66. Cape Town Fish Market
67. Two Oceans Aquarium
68. Tea-Bag Art (I'm not exactly sure what this place is called, but if you ever visit Cape Town, go to this place - it's amazing!)
69. Pavillion (pool with sea-water)
70. Spur (best 'restaurant' ever!).

I'm definitely biased, but I just happen to think that Cape Town, South Africa is one of the most amazing places on Earth. I'm not sure if it's the places, people or atmosphere, but it just is. The people are all (mostly) friendly, the beach sand is white (compared to the brown in Oz Land), the views are magnifique and once you've gone, you'll want to keep going back.

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment