Thursday 24 January 2013

Day 97: January 24

I have finally decided what I want to do with my life.
Like, job wise.
Sort of.
Kinda.
Not really.
Okay, not at all.
But I know what kind of job I want.
I want to do something worthwhile. Something that helps. And yes, I realise that my dream sounds like a 12-year olds, "omg, I want to help the world", but so be it. I will prove you all wrong. It will be fun.
Today, as part of my 15th birthday present, I went to a Keeper for a day at Healesville Sanctuary. This is what opened my eyes, this is what set my sights. The main idea of the program was the learn about the endangered species of Victoria and conservation.
They focused mainly on the Helmeted Honeyeater and the Mountain Pygmy Possum.

The helmeted honeyeater is a black and yellow bird only found in Victoria (AUS). There were 50 birds left in the wild, but since then, breeding programs have seen more birds released. They are the Victorian faunal emblem and live in areas that are about 5km by 2km. $13,000 are spent on each honeyeater, per year, and they only have a 40% survival rate, due them not being conditioned to hiding and then being preyed on by large birds of prey.

Prior to 1966, the mountain pygmy possum was thought to be extinct. In 2006, the last remaining possums were taken from Mt. Bulla and put into a program at Healesville Sanctuary. Mountain pygmy possums live up in alpine regions and their homes have been taken away because of the ski resorts plonked on top of them. For 7 months of the year, pygmy possums hibernate under 1m of snow. As of now, there are 89 of these possums at the.

I could go on and on about the animals were learnt about and what-not, but I wont. (But we did learn about the tassie devils, who are also dwindling in numbers, due to a facial tumour they're getting. It's contagious).

The lady who took us, Megan, kept telling us about the conservation side of everything and the mindset needed. That's when I decided I need to actually do something. I need to do something that helps someone, whether it's an animal, a vegetable, a mineral or a person. I want to make a difference in the world, help someone realise their dreams, help them achieve it.

Over with the preach/dreams speech.

Ninety-seven Christmas songs:
1. White Christmas
2. Rudolph, The Red Nosed Reindeer
3. I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
4. Jingle Bell Rock (Everybody in the English speaking world knows that song)
5. The Christmas Song
6. Snoopy's Song
7. Here comes Santa Claus
8. Little Drummer Boy
9. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
10. Santa Claus is coming to town
11. All I want for Christmas is you
12. May you always
13. Do they know it's Christmas?
14. Little St. Nick
15. Jingle Bells
16. Frosty the Snowman
17. Grandma got run over by a reindeer
18. Merry Christmas Darling
19. Santa Baby
20. Run Rudolph Run
21. Blue Christmas
22. Nuttin' For Christmas
23. Amen
24. Monsters' Holiday
25. Feliz Navidad
26. Santa Baby
27. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
28. Wonderful Christmastime
29. Home for Christmas
30. Molly Jolly Christmas
31. Gee Whiz, it's Christmas
32. Marshmallow World
33. Winter Wonderland
34. Silver Bells
35. Merry, Merry Christmas Bells
36. Kissin' by the Mistletoe
37. We wish you the merriest
38. Twelve days of Christmas
39. Sleigh Ride
40. Mistletoe and Holly
41. Chrissy, The Christmas Mouse
42. This time of year
43. Parade of the wooden soldiers
44. Bells of St. Mary
45. You're my Christmas Present
46. I believe in Father Christmas
47. Away in a Manger
48. Boar's head Carol
49. Calypso Carol
50. Carol of the Bells
51. The Cherry Tree Carol
52. Christians, Awake
53. Children, go where I send thee
54. The Christmas Waltz
55. Come buy my nice fresh ivy
56. Come thou long expected Jesus
57. Deck the Halls
58. Ding Dong Merrily on High
59. Coventry Carol
60. Down in yon forest
61. Do you hear what I hear?
62. Far, far away on Judea's Plain
63. The First Noel (The First Nowell)
64. The Friendly Beasts
65. Gabriel's Message
66. Glory to God
67. Go tell it on the mountain
68. God rest ye, merry gentlemen
69. Good King Wenceslas
70. Hark! The Herald Angels sing
71. Have yourself a merry little Christmas
72. Here we come a-wassailing
73. Huron Carol
74. I heard the bells on Christmas day
75. I pray on Christmas
76. In Dulci Jubilo
77. In the bleak midwinter
78. Infant Holly, Infant Lowly
79. It came upon the midnight clear
80. I wonder as I wander
81. Jesus Christ the Apple Tree
82. Joy to world
83. Let it snow
84. Judea
85. Little Donkey
86. Love came down at Christmas
87. Mary's boy child
88. Mary, did you know?
89. Night of silence
90. O Holy Night
91. Sans Day Carol
92. See, Amid the winter's snow
93. Silver Bells
94. This
95. Endris Night
96. Torches
97. While Shepards watched their flocks

TOMORROW, WE'RE GOING TO PICK MY OLDER SISTER UP FROM THE AIRPORT (SHE'S BEEN GONE FOR SIX WEEKS AND I'M REALLY EXCITED).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment